Friday, March 26, 2010

Earth Hour: Power Out




Why I Wrote This:

Now, I'm usually pretty peeved off at environmental nut jobesque sounding organizations like Green Peace who I'm convinced are an alarmist end of the world driven cult. And I rarely give time to any the 'go green'  sycophantic dribble, unless it's a hot Iranian Green Revolutionary political activist; in which case, I say 'hello, good looking and yes I'll buy whatever your selling'. But having to actually consider the idea, I must admit they have a point.

Our power usage is out of whack, and this is during a time where a good slice of the world doesn't even have access to electricity and power. Once we, in Pakistan at least, (eventually) develop more infrastructure, 3 hours of load shedding will quit being a burden seem like a boon.

Now after making the usual cracks about the 3 hours of load shedding my house undergoes on a daily basis, I thought, hey, maybe we need to save planet Earth, the moon won't be ready for colonization for a while now and neither will Mars....and we haven't officially found Aliens yet who can hook us up with some cool alternate source of power. Our Planet, it's the only one we've got. So here is an excerpt from the folks at Earth Hour


"In March 2009, hundreds of millions of people took part in the third Earth Hour. Over 4000 cities in 88 countries officially switched off to pledge their support for the planet, making Earth Hour 2009 the world’s largest global climate change initiative.



Earth Hour 2010 takes place on Saturday 27 March at 8.30pm (local time) and is a global call to action to every individual, every business and every community throughout the world. It is a call to stand up, to take responsibility, to get involved and lead the way towards a sustainable future. Iconic buildings and landmarks from Europe to Asia to the Americas will stand in darkness. People across the world from all walks of life will turn off their lights and join together in celebration and contemplation of the one thing we all have in common –Our Planet"

They even made a snazzy video here 


Anyhow, this is why I recommend people be part of this historic movement that ought to have no discernible impact on the years to come.

1. It's cool. Lance Armstrong bracelets were all the rage a few years back. Now it's going to be Earth Day! besides, when the lights go out, all the bad girls come out to play...

2. Chicks love it when guys act all environmentally conscious. The Iranian Political Green Movement Hotties are now moving on to save the planet. Want to make a girl squirm, try bringing up how your passionate about saving the world. If her knees don't buckle...well try saying it again, she might not have heard you the first time. All you need to say with earnest passionate (and probably lusty) eyes is 'Don't you care about the world you want to leave for our children' (Note: Focus on the 'our children' part, women are inclined to reproduce...and if she's really hot, you want to hope that it's you)

3. It's a statement, one hour of candle light is unlikely to make a difference, but it shows that in the midst of the Desi Race, The African American Race, The Arab Race, Etc Etc, at the end of the day we recognize that we are all a part of the human race. There are already so few things that actually unite us, maybe it's not a bad things to add to the list and celebrate our commonality. (Note: I also advocate a McDonald's Big Mac day).

4. We don't have unlimited fossil fuels, eventually they are going to run out and the power outages that we in Pakistan look at as a burden, will be a burden that the entire world shares. In essence, we are the working experiment for a world without power, if there ever was an incentive to sell power energy saving devices and learning ways to conserve power, then this it is. We need to realize that, if not for our own future, but for future generations....then again, I'm not sure if we should just be like screw em, we ought to leave them with a few challenges to contend with...spoilt brats.

5. If you are married, having the lights out has certain marital advantages that I am too embarrassed to get into. Think Family guy and giggity giggity.

6. Hit up the rally's you'll make friends and fingers crossed, make some new attractive ones. If you have no friends, this is your chance.....(note stay away from the feminista's, they (like you) are on the prowl for chicks)

7. There seem something really Islamic/Religious about wanting to preserve the planet...I mean, c'mon. If God likes it, there must be something in it for you in the afterlife....you never know...it might be the tie breaker!..probably not, but why take the chance?

The Big Idea:

Please take part in this, my volumetric number of sins need some writing down....oh and I care too....seriously....about hot girls mostly, but then again I am incorrigible.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't quite manage it, could you Murtaza, couldn't quite manage to be serious without letting facetiousness creep in. It's you, I know, but you came close didn't you? You shouldn't be so afraid of showing us the real you. We won't think of you as joining a cause because its got a host of fading needy celebs supporting it. It's not necessarily wrong because Blair/Cruise/Winfrey/Sting/Bono/Gibson/Shetty/Cowell/whoever are with you (although you'd definitely risk breaking your jaw having to grit your teeth that hard) :)

Alpha Za said...

Alec: Alas, I tried, I even wrote a post on cows before I wrote this. I am who am.

This is the real me?I think? I Imagine? Who knows, I'll ask God when I'm dead.

Anonymous said...

I read the post on cows. Amazingly human your cows - all the same hang-ups and needs. I almost forgot it was about cows. I'd like to squeeze you until you speak with your voice, but that might be misinterpreted! <3

Alpha Za said...

Alec: Don't fret, let those happy pills kick in, and don't let your therapist know that your considering squeezing me till I say something you'd like to hear, it may be construed as torture!

Cows are just like humans...except more relaxed and unlikely to start wars.

Amna K said...

:-D
:-D
:-D
:-D
:-D

Anonymous said...

Not so much like humans then! :-D xx